Thursday, July 14, 2011

Making Online Learning more Meaningful

Online learning is the new way for students to learn in the 21st century. Online learning has been in the college setting already for years but now high schools are starting to integrate online learning in their classrooms. I think this is a great resource for teachers to start using as its another way for students to access information they need for class. The great thing about online learning is if students are not understanding concepts the first time explained everything is online and they can go back and access the information again. In todays world there is many online resources for teachers to use to provide online learning such as "Angel," "Blackboard" and many more.

The downside about online learning is students have to discipline themselves and be serious about the learning taking place online. I think some students will struggle since I know for me this is a challenge to motivate students to learn and live up to their responsibilities. I think when there is not a teacher in the classroom pushing students it will be easy for students to fall behind "out of sight, out of mind." I think the best way to help students with this is for the teacher to set great expectations, set deadlines for assignments that are due.

For my classroom I have a teacher website that the school has set up for me and I use it all the time. After starting my Masters in Educational Technology at MSU and having more experience with using technology in the classroom I want to make my website more meaningful to students to access information they need for class online. I now have the knowledge and resources to enhance my online connections and take advantage of the technology out there. I think it would be great to start a blog or "Blackboard" for students to post comments and questions they might have. I want to make available accessible links and tools about topics covered in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment